Friday, March 6, 2009

Back in the Day

Thought I'd show you a few of my favorite things - old typewriters, things with lots of cubbyholes and drawers, old cabinet cards and all things sepia. One of the old cabinet cards is my Papa wearing what I hope was his christening gown. What you can't see is what all this stuff is sitting on -- an old casket maker's chest from England! I'll have to show you a photo of the inside one day -- it is just the neatest chest for someone who likes little drawers and cubbyholes. When we bought it we knew there were a few items in the little drawers but we had no idea what was in store for us when we got it home. It was heavy, very heavy, but that is just us. We go to an auction, flea market, yard sale or whatever - we look around and manage to buy the heaviest item there. But I digress. In order to get this chest in our house we had to set it on the deck with our tractor, put it on a floor dolly and roll it into the house. Once inside we started poking around in the little drawers and my husband said there sure seems to be lots of wasted space in this chest. WRONG! There were hidden cubby holes throughout this chest and they were filled with old carpenter's tools and ephemera. That's how we found out it was a casket maker's chest from England. For us it was our Antique Roadshow find! That's one of my greatest fears - to be watching the Antique Roadshow and have someone show up with the ugliest vase only to find out it's worth $40,000 and when the appraiser asks where they found it, they say they bought it for a quarter at a little old general store in Bay City, IL!!!! My store! ARRGHHHHHHHHHH! Because most days I have no clue as to what I am doing but I'm sure having fun doing it.
Come see us!

No comments: