Saturday, January 17, 2009

Branching out...

This post is the beginning of meeting several goals. The first goal was to use some supplies I have been hoarding for a very long time. I have had this silverware chest for quite some time. I knew when I finally broke down and covered it in gesso and ripped the insides out of it that I was on my way. Two years later, I finally decided on a color for the box. Then a purpose for the box came to me in the middle of the night. Seems everything I make or create must have a purpose besides just sitting there and looking pretty. Must be my German upbringing! Then a theme emerged and that led to the selection of more supplies and more hesitation. What if I never have another crystal door knob? Nevermind that I have a substantial stash of them already. What if I never find another little nest at Hobby Lobby? Then there was the whole twisted, tortured dance of should I put this here or here? Should I use this bird or that bird? Arrrrrrrgggggghhhhhhhhhh! "Just do it, it's only a silverware chest for goodness sakes" a little voice screamed inside my head! So I did it! Another goal achieved. The chest was finished about 3 months ago - time for the next goal - to actually show it to someone and then to show it to someone else who didn't feel obliged to say "oh that's beautiful" in order to ever have peace again. Now onto another goal -- to actually decide to sell it which leads to where to sell it and that raises another batch of issues -- who will buy it and what will they pay? Looks like I have a long way to go before this project is really and totally completed. But hey, I made it this far. So what do you think? The first person to leave a comment will receive 3 vintage Valentine postcards in the mail from the Bay City General Store. As for me, I'm going to go see what else I can gesso...

No comments: