Saturday, February 14, 2009

Greetings and Salutations from the Bay City General Store!

This is my first blog party and I'm here without a chaperone so I will try and be on my best behavior. Events of the week interfered with my original plan to have something of "knock your socks off" quality to put on display for the blogworld to see. So I did the next best thing - I combined two passions of mine - antique postcards and ephemera. The letter writing pages are from Hill's Manual of Social and Business Forms. There is guidance on when and how love letters are to be written so as to preserve the lady's dignity. Too bad we can't transfer some of this guidance to today's teens and their use of text messaging and camera phones. As I mentioned earlier I love antique postcards and buy them at auctions every chance I get. It always makes me a little sad to see someone's cherished memories laying in a box discarded like yesterday's news. This antique postcard from the early 1900s was purchased with 200 others in an old dusty shoebox and upon closer examination they revealed the most wonderful courtship and love story carried out through the US mail. When I bought them I didn't realize they were all to and from and the same people - when I put them in chronological order the love story began to unfold. The story culminated in a marriage and so I have both sides of the love story - his and hers. Don't you just love it when something like that happens? I have pictured these two lovers in my mind and my ultimate goal is to bring them to life through an altered book. Perhaps some day I can host a blog party and share the story of Mallye and Mr. Kelley. However, in keeping with the times of their day, you will have to come properly chaperoned.
Hope everyone shares the day with someone you love and loves you! I am. XOXOXO

5 comments:

A tired retired recluse @ Swallowcliffs.blogspot.com/ said...

Your blog and ideas are so original. I love the vintage look to all of it. The post is fun and lovely!

i think i know said...

What a wonderful find. A love story contained in a stack of forgotten postcards. I hope they are tied with a tattered ribbon. Tell me more, why were they apart? When were these mailed? How sad we don't pen our feelings anymore. Thanks for sharing this, you made my valntines day.
cindy

Anonymous said...

I love vintage postcards and have a small collection - I love your tale of the love story in forgotten postcards - I love the ones with something written on them! Happy Valentines Day!

Dawn said...

Happy Valentines Day! I was reading your other posts and I totally understand about digital art. I am completely self taught at it and am only in the infancy stage with so much to learn - but I must say - it is absolutely amazing and I truly love playing with it. Give it a go - I bet you'll pick it up in no time! Best Wishes ;o)

Judy H said...

This is why I still like letter writing. There is something so "historical" about it.